- Format – when you change the formatting and then alter your procedure this will mess with your plan cache; SQL Refactor by Apex; SQLPrettifier
- Comment – Pseudocode; this should more of a description of what you are doing rather than the code itself
- Structure plan of attack – sketch your query
- Main query -> subquery ->subquery
- Obvious issues – extra rows, columns, unnecessary work, non-SARGable where clauses (cannot be indexed)
- Streamline joins
- Similar subqueries
- Other – functions, etc.